I struggled last week trying to find the right shape for all the wine data to build around. Eventually I settled on a cylinder… and was somewhat pleased, but then I showed the app to a fellow student and they suggested making it into a 3D wine bottle; and I said “Yeah, that makes sense.” So here you go… the wine visualization from last week using processing and openGL, but now in bottle form.
Archive for the 'Visualizing Data' Category
For some reason, this week I just wanted to make something that looked cool. I have been doing a lot of ‘interface’ stuff and thinking about functionality… so I was hankerin’ for a change of pace. Luckily the data set for this assignment is all about frivolity; wine… more than 5,000 different bottles to be exact, were given to us, along with all their metadata. Read more »
Last week’s Visualizing Data was all about the grub, or ‘larvae’. As mentioned earlier in my Larvae! post, this week is the first time we are working with a large, structured, data set (xml). The first thing I had to do before I could get to the visualizing part was get all the data into my app nicely organized. Luckily enough I scraped together a few simple routines to make that happen. HERE is a link to a processing sketch that simply gets the data from the HUGE (>5bm) xml files and quickly draws the paths and gradients to the screen.
After that, twas all about making a tool to explore the boring old xml data. Read more »
I am excited about the assignment in Visualizing Data for the next two weeks because it is working with ‘real’ data; that is, data that someone (a scientist) worked really hard to capture, and cares about. There is something really nice about displaying data for someone where your work could actually help them see their work in a new light. Read more »
You know if movies when the CIA guys always ‘enhance’ images… that is soo fake and it always drives me crazy. I had that in head during this assignment… even though I didn’t really do anything that related to it, just thought you’d like to know.
What I did do is make an app that gives you the scale of images in the ‘Celestron Hand Held Digital Microscope’ at various magnifications in the unit of hairs. Read more »
When confronted by the challenge to create a visualization about images from a cheap microscope I was a little at a loss. I mean, the mircoscope creates an image… the most visual thing ever… how are you supposed to ‘visualize’ that? At first I was thinking of analyzing the pixel data and whatnot, but all that did was abstract the visual data, probably for the worse.
After considering what zoomed-in images are actually used for Read more »
yes, yes, yes its true… we have 3D.
I expanded on ‘SoundFingerprint’ from last week to create the new and improved ‘SoundFingerprint3D’ (a whole new dimension of fun)(sorry).
This time I moved everything out of Processing and into full blown Java with openGL. (BUT, I still needed the functionality of Minim for Processing, so I had to be tricky with a 1×1 pixel Processing window to datamine) I also changed the styling of the visualization to be a little more discreet and readable in 3D. The same process occurs from the first SoundFingerprint, (aggregated data from a real-time FFT on a .mp3), Read more »
THIS is my first post for “Visualizing Data for the Five Senses” class this Fall.
Our first assignment was to think about sound and an appropriate way to visualize it on the computer using Processing.
My main beef with the way sound is typically visualized is the instantaneous-ness of it: graphic equalizers and the like are just bouncing lines on my screen… I know what they are supposed to represent, amplitudes of frequency bands, but they change so much that you cannot really get a sense of what is going on. What I thought would be interesting is a visualization that is an aggregate over the whole sound clip so that one could get an idea of the character or ‘fingerprint’ of the clip… Read more »